Your safety is of supreme concern while traveling with WILD YAK EXPEDITIONS. We focus on the following major safety aspects:
- 1 UIAGM Nepali Mountain Guide for the Group (4 to 6 participants)
- 1 Climbing Sherpa for 2 participants (precious assistance for the Summit days)
- WILD YAK EXPEDITIONS' Team of Climbing Sherpas consists of new generation limbing Sherpas who are highly trained and skilled in mountaineering, educated, with numerous experiences of high altitude climbing, are fluent in various languages and last but not least, friendly and supportive
- Full time Base Camp Manager for the logistic
- We are flexible and supportive being a small group of Climbers compared to other big outfitters which consist of more than 10 climbers in the team
- First Aid medical box, including 2 oxygen bottles and mask regulator for emergency
- 24/24 hours high altitude consultant in case of emergency
- 1 radio set for 2 participants during the ascents
- Satellite phone (personal communications on each participant's own charge
- A 24-hour service based radio station at Base Camp
- Weather forecast
- Fixing lines by our Sherpa Team, where necessary
- 1 day workshop at Base Camp (practice of gear technique, radio use, high altitude tricks, mental preparation guidance)
- 1 day workshop before going to the final Summit push which consists mainly of giving advice for appropriate handling of the personal things which may be effective during the climbing phase
- We are associated with the local Helicopter Rescue and Himalayan Rescue Association
- Last but not least, a pre-expedition meeting in Switzerland and specific advise on how to prepare for an 8000-meter Expedition
WILD YAK EXPEDITIONS TEAM
The success of this Expedition depends on both the personal condition of each participant and the experience of our Team. WILD YAK EXPEDITIONS’ team has been carefully selected according to their experience in the specific environment and personal aptitudes. Our team is thus highly experienced, skilled, trained, courteous and helpful.
WILD YAK EXPEDITIONS’ is proud to support our local staff by providing them with a fair salary, encouraging them to take mountaineering workshops, wilderness first aid training, environmental preservation courses, garbage management, team leadership, and language refreshers on a regular basis.
Our UIAGM Nepali Mountain Guide and his role: WILD YAK EXPEDITIONS’ UIAGM Mountain Guide is a licensed mountain guide, authorised by the International Climbing and Mountaineering Federation (UIAA), with mountaineering experience in guiding around in the Himalaya. Our Mountain Guide leads you to the mountain, giving you interesting information about mountains, technics, culture, traditions and landscapes. He is also helping as interpret with the local population. He is always ensuring your safety and is checking your needs throughout the climbing and monitoring as well symptoms of high altitude sickness. The Mountain Guide plays a vital role in taking care of the clients’ needs, supervising the staffs/ porters and assuring the safety requirements. WILD YAK EXPEDITIONS will be frequently informed about the Group throughout the Expedition.
Our Climbing Sherpa Team: The number of Climbing Sherpas is depending on the size of the group of participants to this Expedition. Our Climbing Sherpa Team is a professional qualified Team with great experience in guiding at high altitudes in the Himalaya, in particular on numerous high mountains of the Himalaya and deep knowledge about the culture and traditions of this part of the Himalaya. It is the Sherpa's role to fix the tents, the rope, where necessary and assist you all the way to the Summit.
Our Kitchen Team: It plays a vital role during the entire Expedition. WILD YAK EXPEDITIONS Cooks are specialized, experienced and trained in outdoor cooking at high altitudes, respecting the fundamental principles of hygiene and proper management of the Base Camp and its surroundings. The role of our Cook is also to manage the Base Camp in the absence of the Leader/Sherpa Team. Different types of cuisine and bakeries are served during the climbing period. Our Kitchen Team ensures also that the garbage is properly managed and the campsite is kept clean after its use.
Our Porters: WILD YAK EXPEDITIONS has it own reliable porters. It is their responsibility to carry your luggage during the trekking with proper handling standards.
WILD YAK EXPEDITIONS is very concerned about the porters. We support and respect the porters’ rights and have high standards to make sure that they are treated well. We pay them a fair salary, including a bonus and providing them with good food allowances, clothes, shoes, sunglasses, rescue and medical insurances. We also support the work of the International Porter Protection Group and assist them to improve the working conditions of the porters.
In some places where the porters are usually replaced by mules, it is the responsibility of the mule driver to ensure that the transportation of your material is done in an appropriate manner.
Note: For the present Expedition, the transport until Sama Gaon is mainly done by mules, whereas the collective material and luggage are then carried up to the Base Camp by the local porters from Sama Gaon.